Our Little Zheng Lan

Our Little Zheng Lan

Friday, July 22, 2011

Home at Last

We arrived home around 10:45 on Wednesday, July 20. As we walked off the plane, Lizzie became an official US Citizen. Pretty incredible. I have many posts to still catch-up on, but I thought I'd write about our flight home, being home, and then I'll back-post the others.

Lizzie did GREAT on our adventure home. We left Guangzhou for the airport on Tuesday evening, July 19, around 7 pm. Our plane was delayed for 1/2 hour, and took off around 11:15 PM (scheduled at 10:30) and arrived in Hong Kong just after midnight. We just missed the Delta counter to get our boarding passes for the next day because the plane was delayed, and we hadn't planned to find a hotel room. So, we spent the night in the airport. Lizzie slept a solid 6 hours in her stroller, I slept on the seats just as long. My dad can sleep anywhere, so he did fine, too. Jake and my mom played games and slept about 2 hours.

We finally received our boarding passes, headed to the Delta Lounge for some food and drinks, and then took off for Tokyo at 8:30 am. During our 2 hour layover in Tokyo, we took showers at the Delta Lounge, ate some more, and caught our flight to Utah at about 12:30 PM Tokyo time. The flight was 9 1/2 hours, which Jake (after taking 2 sleeping pills), my dad (no sleeping pills) and my mom (1 sleeping ill) slept the entire time and were surprised at how quickly the flight went. I, on the other hand, slept for the first hour until Dinner was served, and then Lizzie woke up and I held her the rest of the time. I couldn't get anyone to wake up enough to help me, so I'd just have to leave her sitting in First Class crying while I used the restroom. I tried to hand her off to Jake one time because I was sooooo tired, but he was so asleep he let her fall off his lap onto the floor. Needless to say, she was good, but just never fell asleep enough for me to feel like I could fall asleep. She didn't fuss unless I walked away, she ate and drank well, played, laughed, gave lots of hugs and kisses, but just didn't want to fall asleep...until 1 1/2 hours before we landed. I finally kicked Jake out of his seat and sent him to a vacant one in the row in front of us, and I let her just sleep in my chair until we landed.

She took everything in stride as we came off the plane, though she was very tired. Because we were early, the rest of the family was just arriving to greet us. She took to the kids right away, thanks to Grandma Anderegg's Bee Balloon that she was able to hit into the kids. It made her laugh so much. After that, she was willing to let them each hold her as long as I was in sight.

My Sister, Aimee, brought her daughter, Aubrey, and my 3 to the airport. She is moving to New Hampshire on Monday, so it's probably the last time I'll see her. Man, she's been amazing, helping me with my kids while trying to get things ready to move. I hope to see her Saturday evening briefly, but it depends on how Lizzie is doing. It was so good to see her! I will really miss her!

It was so good to see my kids, too. I have really missed them. They've been a lifesaver, playing with her and letting me get laundry and house catching-up done. They're helping to change diapers, get wipes, play games, feed, and bath her. They're the best. My Monkey Boy said that it seems like I love Lizzie best, but he knows it's just because she needs me right now, and he understands. I am so grateful that he expressed those feelings. It created an opportunity to share with him my feelings, and my love for him. I had the opportunity of just cuddling with him for a little while, and it was good for both of us.

The Lord has been a part of our journey the entire time, and I am so grateful. I miss my friends and wonder how they are adjusting. How is Benjamin, Ellie, Allie, Will Hudson, Jenna, Tien, Tyson, Nellie and all of the others? I have photo's of each of the families on Gotcha Day and Red Couch Photo's, and experiences I want to share about them. We made some great friends whom we will always treasure. What an incredible experience to share with so many really neat people! I will be forever grateful for their faith and their examples.

Well, I need to go spend some time in the scriptures before Lizzie wakes up. My time is precious! Dad has the kids out playing today at Trafalga, and they went to see Harry Potter last night. Jake is such a great dad. He asked if I was OK staying home with Lizzie....oh, I'm really OK with that, especially knowing the other 3 are having a fun time with their awesome Dad!

Photo's will be coming....I promise! Keep praying for our family! They've been working miracles so far, and we still need miracles as we adjust. We love you all!!

1 comment:

  1. We have just been crying and smiling while reading your blog and updates. We have been watching it and reading it on the big screen with the kids. This is the first chance we've had to see her and to share your journey with our kids. We are so proud of you and feel a lot of joy for Lizzie.

    ReplyDelete