Our Little Zheng Lan

Our Little Zheng Lan

Friday, February 4, 2011

Zheng Lan was born in the Year of the Ox


Well, we ended up celebrating the Chinese New Year with "Asian Haystacks" (OK...Hawaiian Haystacks, but we had to change the name for the event), pot stickers & egg rolls, and my oldest invited friends over from school. We, of course, pulled out the dragon (made while I was homeschooling during our "Chinese Unit" out of paper mache, fabric, paint and ribbon), taught the kids to say "Thank You" and "I Love You" (Appropriate for 11 year old boys & girls close to Valentines Day) in Cantonese, asked them what they new about China, and then had a little Wii competition. That sounds Chinese, too, right? They each looked up their Zodiak Sign, and we found out that Zheng Lan is an OX, Dad is a Rabbit, Mom is a Rooster, and the kids are a Rabbit, Snake and Monkey (appropriate).

I also received my "FILE" on Zheng Lan in the mail....copies of the photo's they'd emailed me, copies of all her medical records that they had emailed, and information about the orphanage she is from and the delays she may have from being there. We also received instructions on how to send her a small care package so she begins to become familiar with who we are (photos, blanket, disposable cameras, stuffed animals, clothes, etc). I can send them as often as I'd like...or as money will allow!

For every 3 months a child is in an orphanage, the physical and mental delay is 1 month. Henan Province has just recently allowed children to be adopted from their province. Our daughter is also VERY lucky to have been placed in a foster home, where the one on one is more likely to help her not fall so fare behind. She was in the orphanage for about a year before being placed, but is now with a foster family (lucky family!).

My dad also asked my mom today, "What is this about an adoption." With their internet down, and dad not attending our Sister's Day where I updated everyone, he didn't realize we'd found our girl. I guess I need to be better about calling him. He's so awesome! Now, he's been filled in!

We've had some good donations come in, and are so grateful for everyone who has joined our cause on facebook (Bringing Zheng Lan Home), offered to help organize other fundraisers, and has sent work my way (I'm a Realtor, and all the money I earn is going towards the adoption). I had two offers submitted today! We'll post the events as we have them finalized and hope to get as much support as possible.

The Lord is truly in charge and blessing our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment